Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The greatest thing about vacation

After paging through all our pics from vacation to SD, I concluded the very best part of the 9 days was the PEOPLE. We spent time laughing and making memories with MANY different people we don't normally see while there. 
1. My grandma's brother and his wife from California, Dick and Joyce, stayed with us several days at my parents. It was such a blessing to hear old stories about my grandma, whom I have only vague memories of in the nursing home because she died when I was young of Multiple Sclerosis. So many things unquestioned that I had imagined a much different life and personality for my grandma than others recall of her. Funny how our brains fill in the unknown reality but not with truth. Definitely causes me to value truth and provides a lesson to me that I must seek out Truth.
2.We also got to welcome Fletcher Hansen, my cousin Eric and his wife Karin's 1st baby! Derrick and I visited and held him in the hospital! What a treat! It was bittersweet reminscing with Derrick about our  first days/months as parents after meeting little Fletcher. It brought tears to my eyes thinking back to all the "firsts." Like the car ride home from the hospital, the nights checking for breathing, etc. It makes me excited for Eric and Karin and other new parents. For us, it has been an amazing adventure since those first days of learning and growing together. It hasn't been until recently that we can see how far the Lord has brought us in our understanding and wisdom as parents that we can really appreciate those "firsts." There's so many times I've felt inadequate and unequipped to do this "MOM" job but that's part of the PROCESS.  It's all in the journey. God prepared Derrick and I specifically for our little guys.  He will equip us too. They are His blessings to us. I say this with a humble heart. It has taken me almost 5 years to articulate difficult challenges, tears, failure and heartbreak to this simple lesson. And I still don't have it figured out.....lots more growing to occur. But I appreciate the times I am able to remember the then and now and am encouraged through it.

3. My brother's both have new houses in Rapid City. Which is exciting. It is the place I'd like to be in a month or two, painting and settling into something we can call our own. The house hunting up to this point has been mostly disappointing and discouraging if you want my brutal honesty. However, I'm constantly reminding myself of Christ's Church. It is the people who believe who make the CHURCH, not the building we hold a service in. Just the same, our HOME is not just the building......and we plug on with faith God provides all things in his timing and as part of His plan. 

Kai wading in the creek in Silver City, where my Grandpa has a cabin.

Addie and Eli painting themselves with mud and LOVING every second of it. They didn't enjoy the forced dunk in the cold creek quite as much :(

Addie's paintbrush rock.

The momma and dadda cooling off.

Eli getting a ride from Frankie (my cousin's little guy) on the ATV. Yikes!

Kai and Henry (Frankie's big bro) very busy playing in the stick fort!

Driving trucks up the rock together while we watched rock climbing!

Kai's first stab at rock climbing behind Mt. Rushmore!

My Uncle Pete and Henry playing Transformers.

Addie busy with her sticks.

Kai found Uncle Reid's old Lego Connect set. We eventually figured it out. Spaceship? Not sure he really knew what he was making.

The boys building a damn on the shore at Pactola Lake with the help of my cousin, Erica.

My cousin, Julia and Addie burying their feet in the cool muddy sand.

E-man finding the perfect rocks to throw.

My little munchkins....loved digging in the sand and throwing rocks at Pactola.

Daddy and Eli bonding on the banks of Pactola :)

One happy traveler! Fudge popsicles at Great Grandpa ED's in Longmont on our way home (AKA Grandpa Louie)

Apple picking with GG Louie.

Apple pickers! Green apples straight from the tree! Yummy!

Derrick, Grandpa Ed and the kiddos after filling 2 bags of apples!
Until next summer SD......

No comments: