Saturday, November 24, 2012

thankful turkey times

1. We got to sit 6th row in the endzone at the Broncos vs Chargers game this past weekend! I've been looking forward to an exciting, not-every-day date with my hubby for months now (we don't get out much these days). The criteria for earning the ticket (from a Broncos "nut" like Derrick) was being able to name 7 players on the Broncos team this year. It seemed a somewhat daunting task considering I've only sat to watch part of 2 games this season however I do HEAR about specific players quite often! Without the help of the TV or anything else, I did name them; barely, by the skin of my teeth! I named some first names, some full names, and some last names......but hey, they were all 7 names! Besides the fact that it was MY birthday gift as well as Derrick's from his parents, I made the cut!
 So amazing until........migraine hits. I'm covering my nose and mouth to breath into my orange cheerleading towel from the game due to diesel bus fumes as we walk a mile back to the car. Then I'm coping and trying to keep the meds down, lying in the front seat............. then cop lights are pulling Derrick over for expired tags on our van (oops I thought it had been awhile). Finally, after my head is really spinning we are on our way to pick up the kids and I'm puking in the coffee mug. Nice. Great way to top a long awaited date :)

2. We have a trytophan-induced, fat, and lazy turkey drawn up on our wall with colorful feathers expressing our THANKS this season. It was a fun art project to write out the BIG and small ways we feel blessed this year and this week together and give our lazy turkey some spunk! Happy Thanksgiving!


3. My childhood obesity prevention class I teach at the YMCA graduated this last weekend and we celebrated at Skate City! I haven't been rollerskating in years! It brought me back to all those Friday night school gatherings at the roller rink skating hand-in-hand with some nerdy boy and all my birthday parties at Dakota Skateland taking laps in the skate ride for the birthday girl only! Needless to say, lots of fond memories on the rink. So I thought I'd pass the love and take Kai with me and let him get a feel for it! We started out a little rough and I think I may have pulled something (not really but I am sore), but we ended much improved! Only one major wipe out including both of us!
Me bracing Kai or Kai bracing me??

After our 2 hours skating we probably made it around the rink 5 times together!! :)


4. I have a few parenting realities that are crawling under my skin lately. The reality of raising kids is when their "ugly" and your "ugly" is all too similar. We've been working on many respect issues with Kai in the past weeks and sometimes when I see his frustration seeping through during discipline, it's scary to see myself responding in the wrong way right through him. The other reality of having these 3 munchkins so close in age is the things of one child are learned by another child through osmosis. Some days if I hear one "potty word" then I hear it automatically x 3 a million times a day....which could drive a sane person straight into insanity! Just saying....


5. The house we are trying to buy is pending, still. It's been pending since mid-Sept. We are so thankful this season for the sellers for sticking with us. We are also so thankful that our landlord is letting us stay put in our rental house an extra 2 months!! He has been beyond generous! We are praying that all things will be confirmed and signed before we enter this Christmas season!

No comments: